What is a BLT Sandwich Exactly?
A BLT sandwich is a popular lunch item that contains bacon, lettuce, tomato and two slices of bread. It can be eaten as it is or with mayonnaise.
One serving can give you 447 calories, which is quite a lot if you are watching your weight. These are the following ingredients with nutrition values:
- Fat 28g
- Cholesterol 52mg
- Sodium 1109mg
- Potassium 367mg
- Carbohydrates 27g, Sugar 3.7g
- Protein 20g
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
The classic BLT has been around for centuries, and it is still a popular choice among many today!
How and when was the BLT Sandwich invented?
We don’t know exactly when or where the BLT sandwich was invented, but it is thought to have been made in the United States at some point around the start of 1900s.
The 1920s saw a surge in people eating them because they started appearing in British cookbooks.
After World War 2 more and more people were trying out the BLT sandwich as supermarkets began stocking tomatoes and lettuce and women had fewer responsibilities doing things like looking after their house all day long.
While the BLT sandwich is a simple concept, it has been reinvented many times over the years. Some common variations of the BLT include:
- Adding avocado
- Replacing the bread with tortillas
- Using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon
- Adding cheese(balls)
- Adding pickles
- And more!
No matter how you enjoy your BLT, this sandwich is sure to satisfy your cravings!
Fun fact: Did you know that the BLT sandwich has it’s one whole celebration month? The month is April called the National BLT Month.
Does the BLT Sandwich help with weight loss?
The BLT sandwich does have certain advantages for your health. Yet it additionally has a lot of calories and fat. In the event that you need to get in shape, you might need to pick different alternatives for lunch.
Be that as it may, on the off chance that you are searching for an enjoyable sandwich. Which will help you meet your objectives regarding eating more vegetables each day. Then pick a BLT however ensure not to eat too much.
The top 4 health benefits of a BLT Sandwich
A BLT sandwich is a tasty lunch that can provide many health benefits.
- Eating one can give your body protein, which helps you stay strong and energized.
- They also contain plenty of vitamins gained from the lettuce and tomato in them, which help boost immune system health.
- The bacon in the sandwich provides important minerals needed by our bodies, like zinc, selenium, and iron.
- Finally, the bread it’s served on provides healthy carbohydrates to help keep us active all day long!
Healthy BLT Sandwich Recipes
Here are four healthy BLT sandwich recipes that you can try:
- Mediterranean BLT – Mediterranean BLTs use hummus instead of mayo
- Tex-Mex BLT – Tex-Mex option adds lettuce, tomatoes and your favorite hot sauce together with bacon on a toasted Mexican flatbread.
- Guacamole and Bacon BLT -The Guacamole and Bacon BLT uses mashed avocado as its creamy base for bacon strips and fresh tomato slices.
- Rainbow Roasted Veggie BLT – Lastly, the veggie BLT burst with color from red peppers onions tomatoes carrots radishes olives feta cheese all between two slices of whole grain bread topped off with pressed roasted garlic spread!
What are the best alternatives for BLT sandwich?
The best alternatives for a BLT sandwich are:
- Grilled Cheese and Bacon Sandwich
- Wraps with Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato
- Avocado Toast with Bacon
- Open-Faced Roast Beef Sandwich with Crispy Lettuce & Tomato
- Salmon BLT Salad
Conclusion on Is a BLT good For Weight Loss?
If you want something yummy and nutritious in a sandwich, you should try the BLT. Even though there are lots of calories and fat, it can also help you get all your veggies from one meal.
If weight loss is your goal, then have the BLT occasionally so it doesn’t affect your progress negatively. There are several types of healthier recipes for a light version with more vegetables than just lettuce and tomato if that’s what interests you!
Give different kinds of BLTs or its alternative sandwiches I suggested a chance;you could like them even more than regular ones!